Three Dell U2713H(M) Monitors…

I am trying to get three Dell U2713HM monitors to work with a GigaByte Z87MX-D3H but I am running into some issues:

1.) The monitor connected to the DisplayPort is recognised as a built-in display rather than an external monitor.
Edit: Toleda suggested to change AAPL,ig-platform-id to 0x0d220003 but it turns out that I am already using it so that cannot be it. I also noticed that the DisplayPort connector is on port 0 which may be wrong.

Edit-2: Yup. I patched AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext and now it is using port 7, instead of port 0, and as a result the monitor is no longer recognised as a built-in display. I guess that settles it.

2.) The used image for the monitor is wrong.

Edit-2: Also solved by the AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext patch.

3.) The monitor connected to the HDMI port has a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 and requires EDID* edits.

Two questions:

1.) Has anyone ever solved this built-in / image problem before?

2.) Has anyone a working HDMI EDID* edit or know how to do this?


Mirroring enabled 2560 x 1440 on two of the three monitors, connected to DisplayPort and DVI connecter, but that is clearly not what I want. I need full control over the displays. However. This seems like a step closer to a real solution. This also counters something that ‘bcc9’ said. That this motherboard does not support dual-link DVI. Well. Mine certainly does.

*EDID is short of Extended Display Identification Data


I had some issues to get my Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H motherboard to boot with a Displayport 1.2 cable plugged-in, but covering pin-20 (lower right corner) with a small piece of tape solved this problem.


New style of AppleHDA.kext patching (take II)

In a previous blog article I wrote about a New style of AppleHDA.kext patching and I guess that most of you have tried it, but… Toleda told me that it fails for people with Chameleon/Chimera when kernelcache is used. Folks using Clover appears to be fine I’m told. I also don’t have issues with it with RevoBoot (a private unreleased version).

Not only that. It was also too complicated, and that is why I wrote a script called My first public version was 0.2 but I have since updated my Github repository with a slightly modified version. I am far from done, and a next update should be more fun to use, but please give this version a go and help me to improve Oops. I even ran out of time to add more text. Later!

A new major update to is now available from my Github repository. This version supports Realtek ALC 885, 887, 888, 889, 892, 898 and 1150 and will look in AppleHDA.kext and FakeSMC.kext for ConfigData. If can’t locate the required ConfigData, then it will try to download a file from Toleda’s Github repository and unzip it in a sub-directory of /tmp.

There are probably a couple of checks that I should add, but this has to be it for now. Later folks.

Good news. has been updated to version 1.5 and now supports four new arguments:

Usage: ./ [-hald]
-h print help info
-a target ALC
-l target layout-id
-d target directory

Note: Currently it is not possible to copy/bin-patch the AppleHDA executable with (it only creates a symbolic link) but version 1.6 should change this. I also plan on adding support to copy/bin-patch the AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver executable.

Update-3: has been updated to version 1.6 and now supports a new argument:

-b AppleHDA

A next version will expand this so that you can use something like:

-b AppleHDA:\x8b\x19\xd4\x11,\x92\x08\xec\x10
-b AppleHDA:x8bx19xd4x11,x92x08xecx10

Edit: Already implemented!

The last hurdle is to let you bin-patch the AppleHDAController binary, but that should be fine by the time we reach v2.0

Edit: Already implemented!

Update-4: has been updated to version 2.0 and I think that this is it. Everything seems to work now so go ahead and give it a go.

Thanks for testing!

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Let this be a year full of new exiting Apple hardware and software, but more importantly. One where health and family matters are far more important than having a blog or messing with a hack. The year of a new born baby and a new home. Well. In my case that is 😉